Amelia Otherwhere and Other Such Nonsense







But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
Galatians 5:18



19 January 2009

Of Hummingbirds


There are few things I like so well as Hummingbirds. They are the most exquisite little creatures. So delicate and sweet yet faster than a speeding bullet (I'm not sure if they had a race with Superman, who would win!) I am blessed with a home that has 2 balconies - one on each side. And since my place is so small, they are right across from each other with about 6 feet between. One day I was sitting on my rocking chair talking on the phone to my niece Snow when all of a sudden, a beautiful little hummingbird came and levitated (as only they can) between the 2 doors. He looked at me. I looked at him. He looked at me some more. I whispered very excitedly to Snow that a hummingbird was in my apartment and maybe he came for tea. And then he kept going right out the other door. It was amazing. I felt like he had indeed come for tea but found me otherwise occupied. I wait now for him to return - hopefully not in vain.

Since then I received a hummingbird feeder to put on my porch. Now the hummingbirds come every day to suck the sweet nectar and check out what I am up to. I know they have taken to me just as I have taken to them. I can hear them coming - their wings sound like the bubble noise of a little submarine. They fight with each other on who gets to drink first. They come closer in if they're brave. Not too long ago I planted a flower (it's the same flower as in the picture) in a pot in front of my kitchen window that attracts these little wonders. In the mornings they come and stare at me through the glass. They probably wonder what I am having for breakfast. I talk to them. They chatter back. I know they have important things to say!

My favorite though is when they perch on top of the feeder. There is a red bendable thing that is supposed to be used for hanging. However, I have no place to hang it so set the feeder on my railings. Sometimes early in the morning, just as the sun shows his face, there is a little bird perched on the top - looking in the glass of the sliding door. I can see his outline and then as the sun comes up more, I can see the brilliant green of his head. I take a deep breath (in awe and wonder) and try to move very slowly so as not to make any noise lest he should fly away. I am delighted these mornings. I feel that God has visited me and bestowed upon me a gift of great value. He has reminded me that there is great joy in what He has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment