Amelia Otherwhere and Other Such Nonsense







But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
Galatians 5:18



15 January 2009

One Just Isn't Enough


When I went to bed last night, my mind kept wandering back to my blog. I kept saying it's name over and over in my head "Amelia Otherwhere and Other Such Nonsense", "Amelia Otherwhere and Other Such Nonsense". You've got to admit - It has a nice ring to it. Try saying it a few times and see if you don't think it as wonderful as I do. I sat for a good 20 minutes trying to come up with a name to rival both of my sister's blog names. Today April told me she was jealous of how cute mine is. Don't be jealous April. I was jealous of your blog in the same way. I mean, you have the greatest pictures. And your stories - I don't have a husband to be whitewashed by, but it sure sounds like fun! Yes, I was jealous too. But now I have my own. And I like it. A lot. It's me. Just like my red apartment. I open up my page and get all excited to see my picture and read my title. Just like that I have become addicted to a spot that will more than likely give away my secrets. Oh well. It will be worth it if I have a sense of fulfillment in my writing once again.


So a deep thought for the day:

When getting a donut, do you buy one, two, or three? And which do you choose? My mom loves donuts. I think she has instilled this love of donuts in her children. It's safe to say we all could have a serious donut problem if we weren't self-controlled or worried about looking like a donut. My mom would let us get 2 donuts when we were little. How can you just get one when there are two such scrumptious, mouthwatering masterpieces calling you from behind the finger printed window of the case. I bet there were nose marks and foggy areas from kids breathing hard as they tried to pick out which donut they got to eat. The kids in my family probably left quite a few marks on the glass of the Green's Bakery donut case. Ok, so back to the real story - donuts! This isn't about fog and nose marks on glass. So we used to get 2 donuts. One's not enough and three are too many. I have found in my adulthood that I struggle with just getting one donut. Is this something I can blame on my mom? At this age I suppose I should take the blame myself. I'm a big girl. I don't have to buy any donuts. Clearly, I don't have to eat them.
If food could be categorized into good and evil - donuts would definitely fall into the evil category. "Why?", you ask. Well, first, it's chock full of wheat and dairy. They are big no-no's for me. And then there is the sugar factor. I'm not supposed to have that either. Not to mention the fried in oil issue - probably which is hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated (you can pronounce that word any way you want!). Evil. Supremely evil. Right. I forgot to mention fat. One of my ballerina friends told me many years ago (yes, it has scarred me for life) that if you eat bread, you look like bread. I have transferred that to "if you eat donuts, you look like donuts". Although, maybe looking like an apple fritter isn't such a bad thing. Yum. Apple Fritters.

How did I get started on donuts? Oh yeah. I've had a craving now for 2 full days. It's not going away. Driving home last night, I past 3 donut shops. THREE!!! Thank goodness I was talking with April. She talked me off the ledge. I didn't jump off and get my donuts. This morning I wanted to go straight to the donut shop. I was close, but I didn't. Unfortunately the craving hasn't gone away. I still want a donut. Bad. Actually, I want two. Sometimes cravings don't go away until you satisfy them. I mean, do I really want to spend the next week at least eating everything else I can find just so I don't eat a donut. It would probably be better just to get the donut or donuts and be done with it. What do you think? I wonder what my mom's advice would be. Hmmm I wonder if she would last with a donut craving for 3 days. That's what I love about her...or just one of the many things...she doesn't stress about eating things she's not supposed to eat. I guess she doesn't really have food allergies, but still, she truly enjoys with no guilt. Oh that I were more like her (imagine I exhale wistfully).

Of all the wonderful, tasty, tempting donuts, which do I pick? Not too much thought goes into that one - obviously an apple fritter is my first choice. And the second - well, that's pretty easy too. An old fashioned glazed. If I'm really being ____(I can't think of the word and in classic books you often come to spots where there is a line like that for a missing work so I figure I too can do that on my blog), I choose the maple glazed old fashioned rather than the plain glazed.
All this talk of donuts has done nothing to remove my donut craving! Tomorrow morning, I just might drive to Huntington Beach to a donut shop I was told about yesterday. The guy said they are known for their apple fritters. We'll see. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. I will tell you this much: if you see me and I look like an apple fritter, you will know what happened...

A word to the wise: it would be safer for you to not mention it if I do look like a donut.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew the blank trick. Thanks. That's awesome. I love that you wrote almost a whole page about donuts. Made me laugh. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is this donut shop in Huntington Beach?? Have I been there? What is the address?? and phone number??? Dothey ship??? to Michigan?? I haven't had a donut for about 10 days -- apple fritters sound delicious! Do I look like a donut?? (Be careful what you say:)

    ReplyDelete